The Washington Capitals and rest of the NHL are just just a month and a few weeks away from the start of training camp and the preseason, and players are hard at work.
Meanwhile, NHL Free Agency is still alive and well, as Nazem Kadri is closing in on a new home, while others like P.K. Subban are still waiting to hear about their next gig.
Here are all the latest news and notes from D.C. and across the NHL:
Washington Capitals Links
- Martin Fehervary is putting in serious work as he goes into his sophomore year with the Capitals. (WHN)
- Carl Hagelin remains a question mark for Washington in 2022-23, but a checkup in the coming weeks will provide more clarity on his future. (WHN)
- What will the Metro Division look like next season? (Japers’ Rink Radio)
- The New York Islanders are closing in on Nazem Kadri, but Lou Lamoriello has quite a bit of work to do to make space for the star — and here’s how it may stack up. (NYIHN)
- Montreal Canadiens forward Josh Anderson has shown a lot of speed and power as time has gone by, and he credited a couple of familiar faces in D.C.: Dale Hunter and his brother, Mark.
- Michigan men’s hockey coach Mel Pearson has been accused of mistreating and berating staff, retaliating against Strauss Mann and forcing him to leave the program and more. (The Athletic)
Sammi’s Top Shelf Takes
- Nick Jensen recorded another assist in Da Beauty League and now has points in all three games he’s suited up for with TRIA. He now has five points so far with a hat trick and two helpers.
- If Kadri does come to the Metro as part of the Island, the Capitals shouldn’t regret not going for him in free agency. There is still hope that No. 19 can play again. Plus, the need to overhaul the goaltending and get more forwards than one will pay off big time. I went more in-depth on Washington’s situation and why star power wasn’t the answer for the Capitals here.
- Congratulations to Alex D’Agostino, who is the team’s new assistant manager of media relations, and Chase Pyke, the new manager of media relations. Amazing individuals who deserve the absolute best and will continue to do great work in these positions.