Sammi's Daily Mix
Sammi’s Daily: Tom Wilson Injury, Capitals Trade Talk
The Washington Capitals are awaiting word on Tom Wilson, trade talk is brewing and more in the daily.
The already-shorthanded Washington Capitals suffered another injury setback on Tuesday, as they saw a key player who just returned go down yet again with a lower-body injury in a hard-fought 3-2 loss to the Colorado Avalanche.
In the meantime, trade talk is starting to heat up for the team and across the league, and the playoff race is tightening.
Here are all the latest news and notes from D.C. and across the NHL:
– Head coach Peter Laviolette shared an update on Tom Wilson after he left the game following a huge shot block with his right leg.
– The team was not only missing Wilson halfway through but was also playing without T.J. Oshie after he returend home so he and Lauren could prepare for the birth of his fourth child, and Nicklas Backstrom, who is day-to-day with a non-COVID illness.
– One player who did return from injury: Alex Ovechkin — though he said postgame that he wasn't exactly at full strength.
– On the trade talk front: Lars Eller is becoming a name to watch, as the Capitals would reportedly entertain offers for the Dane — on one condition.
– A 1-on-1 with William Dufour, whose NHL debut wasn't the best one to remember for the struggling Islanders and stirred some controversy. New York Islanders. (NYIHN)
– Bruce Boudreau opens up about his final days with the Vancouver Canucks. (The Athletic)
– The Penguins got a big win to leapfrog Washington in the standings thanks to Kris Letang, who made his return after one of the most challenging stretches of his life. Pittsburgh Penguins. (PHN)
– Some takeaways from Capitals-Avalanche from behind enemy lines. Colorado Avalanche. (CHN)
Top Shelf Takes
– Wilson's injury appears to have impacted his right leg, which is hard to see considering he just spent nearly eight months rehabilitating his left following ACL surgery in his left knee. Here's hoping it's just a bad bruise and not a break.
– There's been speculation brewing of Anthony Mantha and the Montreal Canadiens — my source tells me there's no truth or substance to this. The two teams have not been linked together regarding No. 39.
– Though Joel Edmundson would seem like a name that Washington may want to look at. Just thinking out loud here.
– Thoughts and prayers for Ottawa Senators assistant coach Bob Jones, who was diagnosed with ALS. He will continue his coaching duties, and it's incredibly brave of him to go public. Wishing him the absolute best.