Sammi's Daily Mix
Sammi’s Daily: Oshie Tells All, Ovechkin’s All-Star Plans, Capitals News
T.J. Oshie tells all when it comes to his injury struggles, Alex Ovechkin has fun things in store for the 2023 NHL All-Star Weekend, the Washington Capitals and the rest of the league get much needed time off and more in the daily.
The Washington Capitals and the rest of the NHL are officially on a break as the league prepares for its 2023 All-Star Weekend on Friday and Saturday. In the meantime, several players will get a much needed break and some rest going into the unofficial second half of the campaign.
Meanwhile, there's still trade talk and more speculation brewing league-wide.
Here are the latest news and notes from D.C. and across the NHL:
– T.J. Oshie shared a tough truth and opened up about his injury struggles in an exclusive 1-on-1 interview, and said that despite having a tough time functioning off the ice, he isn't changing his high-energy playing style. (WHN)
– Nic Dowd is still recovering from his lower-body injury and, in a fun radio interview on Tuesday, discussed his role with the Capitals and his desire to live life like his captain, Alex Ovechkin. (WHN)
– Speaking of Ovechkin, he has some fun plans in store for the Breakaway Challenge and is teaming up with… Sidney Crosby. (WHN)
– Overall, though, the All-Star break couldn't come at a more perfect time for Washington. (WHN)
– Bo Horvat was set to represent the Vancouver Canucks and Pacific Division at the All-Star Weekend, but that's been complicated now that he's with the Islanders. So, here's how things are going to play out. New York Islanders (NYIHN)
– Speaking of Horvat, the Canadiens are one team that can benefit from that deal — and here's how. Montreal Canadiens (MHN)
– Trade chatter continues to brew around Dylan Larkin. Detroit Red Wings (DHN)
– Rasmus Dahlin will play in the 2023 NHL All-Star Weekend after Tage Thompson suffered an upper-body injury with the Buffalo Sabres on Wednesday. (Sportsnet)
Top Shelf Takes
– Ovechkin has won the breakaway challenge three times in his career: 2008, 2009 and 2011. Over the last few appearances, he has been a shoo-in for the "Hardest Shot" competition due to his blistering one-timers from the office, so it'll be fun to see him back in the trick shot challenge.
– Dowd said that the break will be beneficial for him as he continues his rehab. Head coach Peter Laviolette had said that he will be "out for a bit," but Dowd said that the 10-day break will be "really helpful" for his recovery.
– When it comes to finding a good trade partner, the Capitals need to look at teams with depth on the blue line, since the glaring need is defensive depth with John Carlson's return still "off in the distance."
– There is an "Oshie Effect," and it's clear how much he means to the team both on and off the ice.
Since 2016-17, the Capitals are 248-120-44 when T.J. Oshie is in the lineup. Without him, they are 52-32-10, and this year, they are 7-7-4 when he's out.
So yes, there is an "Oshie effect." An example:pic.twitter.com/svZG6JLcMn
— Sammi Silber (@sammisilber) February 1, 2023