The Washington Capitals kick off a busy week with the first day of development camp, with Monday also marking the deadline for RFA qualifying offers. Washington just has one to address in Ilya Samsonov.
Meanwhile, free agency is 48 hours away, and the goalie carousel is still spinning while Evgeni Malkin and other free agents face a stalemate with their current clubs.
Here are all the latest news and notes from the District and across the NHL:
- Jake Allen could be on the Capitals’ radar as the team continues its search for another goaltender. (WHN)
- In fun hockey news, T.J. Oshie hit the links for the American Century Championship and put together quite an outing at Edgewood. (WHN)
- Development camp kicks off today, so throwing it back to a 1-on-1 with a top prospect in Hendrix Lapierre, who “smiles all the time.” (WHN)
- Should Washington be keeping an eye on the Evgeni Malkin situation as the team looks for a new top-6 center?
- When it comes to Malkin’s crossroads with the Pittsburgh Penguins, it looks like term — and emotion — are getting in the way of an agreement. (PHN)
- At the 2022 NHL Draft, a deal was in place to send J.T. Miller to the New York Islanders, but it fell through at the last second. Here’s why. (NYIHN)
- Is Johnny Gaudreau headed to the Philadelphia Flyers? Well… (PHN)
- The Los Angeles Kings are spending like contenders, and it could get them further in 2022-23. (Pro Hockey Talk)
Sammi’s Top Shelf Takes
- Given Samsonov is the lone goaltender left on the roster and the fact that the Capitals hung on to him over Vitek Vanecek, I’d expect him to get a qualifying offer and stay on board.
- It’ll be fun to return to the rink for development camp on Monday. The action kicks off at 3:15 p.m. with on-ice activities. Laura Schuler, a member of the NHL Coache’s Association’s Female Coaches Development Program, will be a guest coach.
- Per The Atheltic’s Pierre LeBrun, Evander Kane has gotten permission to speak with other clubs and appears set to hit the market. Washington was reportedly among the teams interested in him back in January.
- Congrats to former Capitals blueliner Christian Djoos. He got married over the weekend and had Nicklas Backstrom in attendance. Vanecek also tied the knot on Saturday.