The Washington Capitals are two days away from the start of rookie camp and less than a week away from the start of training camp. Not only that, but the NHL announced the return of outdoor hockey in Canada this season.
So kick back, open a soda and check out the latest news and notes from D.C. and across the league.
- Connor McMichael and Hendrix Lapierre lead the Capitals’ rookie camp roster. Here’s everything to know about the camp, including participants, dates and more. (Washington Hockey Now)
- Alex Ovechkin is a lock for the 2022 Olympics in Beijing, but which of his Washington teammates could also participate in the Winter Games? Tarik El-Bashir breaks down the Capitals’ Olympic candidates. (The Athletic)
- Speaking of prospects, Washington has an impressive depth chart that features several promising names. Luke Adomanis releases the second part of his Capitals’ top 25 under 25 rankings. (Japers’ Rink)
- The Hershey Bears are bringing back their iconic teddy bear toss game in 2022. Ian Oland has more on the return of the tradition. (Russian Machine Never Breaks)
- The Tim Hortons Heritage Classic is back. The Toronto Maple Leafs will face off against the Buffalo Sabres outdoor at Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton, Ont. on March 13. (NHL)
- This season could prove interesting for the Metro Division. Dan Kingerski makes his predictions and discusses possible surprises and more. (Pittsburgh Hockey Now)
- After battling health issues, Marco Rossi is ready to make an impact and impress with the Minnesota Wild. Sean Leahy shares what the 19-year-old had to say about his journey to the NHL and explains how he could make serious noise with the big club in 2021-22. (Pro Hockey Talk)
- Colorado added some flair to its away jersey, incorporating more blue. Adrian Dater ponders the Avs’ new look heading into the new season. (Colorado Hockey Now)
Sammi’s Top Shelf Takes
- Ovechkin is currently in Chicago for the NHL Media Tour. He’s taken some photos and conducted a couple of interviews so far, including an iconic one with ESPN’s John Buccigross. He asked Ovi how many goals Gretzky has and how many he has and who first brought up the possibility of No. 8 breaking The Great One’s record. Ovechkin’s answer: “You.”
— CapitalsPR (@CapitalsPR) September 15, 2021
- Former Capitals goaltender Philipp Grubauer is among those at the NHL’s Media Tour and got to show off his bartending skills — in full gear, no less.
Former Caps goaltender Philipp Grubauer showing off his bartending abilities at Lottie’s Pub in Chicago.
Looks like it’s one of the stops on the NHL Media Tour.
(📸: philippgrubauer31/Instagram) pic.twitter.com/YMxvQKJKbs
— Sammi Silber (@thekidsammi) September 15, 2021
- Speaking of the Kraken, their jerseys are officially available for purchase, and you can buy it online at nhl.com/shop.
- Brenden Dillon, sporting Winnipeg Jets gear, is among those taking part in informal skates at MedStar Capitals Iceplex. The blueliner was dealt to the Jets for draft picks in the offseason. Best of luck in Winnipeg, Dilly Dilly.
Big turnout for this morning’s informal veteran skate @MedStarIceplex. In no particular order: Samsonov, TvR, Kuznetsov, Kempny, Hagelin, Dowd, Jensen, Orlov, Wilson, Sprong, Carlson, Mantha, Schultz, Sgarbossa and Dillon (wearing Jets gear.) #Caps pic.twitter.com/tujhNZN5xG
— Tarik El-Bashir (@Tarik_ElBashir) September 16, 2021