We’re one day away from the expansion draft, and the Seattle Kraken are chomping at the bit. They’re getting ready to not only reveal their new jerseys and roster but are bringing in some of Washington State’s top celebrities to do so, from Sue Bird to Macklemore.
Here’s everything to know as the countdown clock approaches 24 hours until the Seattle Kraken join the ranks of the NHL.
- Washington Capitals defenseman Brenden Dillon was left unprotected and could be headed to Seattle. The 30-year-old joined Scott Rintoul and Karen Surman to discuss his NHL future, the possibility of going to the Kraken and more. (Sportsnet)
- The Washington Capitals surprised and elected to protect Trevor van Riemsdyk over fellow blueliners like Justin Schultz, but it was ultimately the right call. Here’s why. (Washington Hockey Now)
- Former Capitals goalie Braden Holtby is also a potential Kraken target. Stephen Whyno and Tim Booth explain why he’s a solid option, especially if Seattle forgoes Carey Price. (AP News)
- New data reveals that Tom Wilson continues to live in critics’ heads rent-free. (Washington Hockey Now)
- Kraken ownership has given GM Ron Francis the green light to select Price if they’d like to. Adam Gretz dives into the possibility of Seattle taking the Montreal netminder and if it’s worth the risk. (Pro Hockey Talk)
- Nashville Predators prospect Luke Prokop is the first player under NHL contract to publicly came out as gay, marking a major moment in the sports world. Emily Kaplan shares his story and speaks with Prokop about his journey. (ESPN)
- With better knowledge of who’s up for grabs, Geoff Baker shares his predictions for the upcoming expansion draft. (The Seattle Times)
- In NHL Draft news, Logan Mailloux renounced himself from the coming draft following a report that he was charged in Sweden for taking and distributing a photo without consent from a consensual sexual encounter. Frank Seravalli details Mailloux’s decision. (Daily Faceoff)
Sammi’s Top Shelf Takes
- The 13 Humboldt Broncos injured in the bus accident on April 6, 2018, reunited for the first time since the tragedy. Seeing their resilience is absolutely inspiring, and stick taps to them as they continue their journey. We will also never forget the 16 people who lost their lives on that day and everyone impacted by the crash.
All 13 Bronco Brothers plus 2, together for the first time since the tragedy. Absolutely love this. pic.twitter.com/g4XLsofepU
— firstname.lastname@example.org (@BrianSn56220068) July 18, 2021
- I think that the Kraken should take Price. If ownership feels confident enough to say that it’s okay, then take that chance. He is still an outstanding starter with a lot left in him, and I believe it will repeat of what happened when Marc-Andre Fleury went to the Vegas Golden Knights.
- Speaking of the expansion draft, you hav to think that Schultz to be the frontrunner for Seattle. I also think there still could be interest in Vitek Vanecek but considering Chris Driedger’s reportedly headed to the Kraken for three years, I’m not sure they’ll go with VV over a top-4 blueliner like Schultz or even Dillon.
- I’m expecting a bounce-back season from Michal Kempny and believe that TvR is going to play a top-4 role if Schultz is in fact Seattle-bound. Book it.