The Washington Capitals are at MedStar Capitals Iceplex for pre-training camp physicals, off-ice testing and of course, promotional shoots. Washington also released its training camp roster, which features several names to watch heading into the year.
Meanwhile, the rest of the NHL is gearing up for camp as well, including two rising stars who just signed long-awaited extensions.
Here are all the latest headlines to keep an eye as we head into camp and the preseason.
- Washington announced its training camp roster on Tuesday. Here’s a closer look at the 30 forwards, 18 defensemen and six goaltenders that will take the ice. (Washington Hockey Now)
- Bear Hughes has taken a rather interesting path to the pros, from his dad’s rink in Idaho to the Capitals’ practice facility. I caught up with the 2020 fifth-rounder to discuss his growth, passion for hockey and goal to get stronger. (WHN)
- What will we see from Washington in 2021-22? J.J. Regan shares his expectations for the Capitals as they prepare for camp. (NBC Sports Washington)
- WILSON! Washington released its full promotional schedule for the upcoming season, which includes the famous Tom Wilson Castaway bobbleheads. (Russian Machine Never Breaks)
- Dolla Dolla Bill Kirill is back… and making quite a salary. Sarah McLellan breaks down Kirill Kaprizov’s nine-year, $45 million extension that highlights a summer of “bold” moves for the Minnesota Wild. (The Star Tribune)
- In other news, the Columbus Blue Jackets continue to hold a firm stance on getting vaccinated. Seah Leahy has more on Zac Rinaldo, who won’t be welcome at training camp after deciding not to get the COVID-19 vaccine. (Pro Hockey Talk)
- As the Boston Bruins prepare to take the ice for their training camp, one player is turning heads: Jack Studnicka. Joe Haggerty discusses the 22-year-old’s NHL chances and the potential for him to win David Krejci’s spot as the No. 2 center. (Boston Hockey Now)
- Rasmus Dahlin is back in Buffalo, inking a three-year, $18 extension with the Sabres on Wednesday. Jourdon LaBarber details the Swedish blueliner’s new deal. (NHL)
Sammi’s Top Shelf Takes
- Expect Connor McMichael to take his game to the next level at training camp. He has serious potential to win a roster spot, and with some salary cap maneuvering, the team can make room for him to join the mix.
- I think the Blue Jackets are spot on with their vaccination stance. The COVID-19 vaccine has been deemed safe by the CDC and FDA, and a majority of NHLers are getting vaxxed. Without it, there’s stricter protocols for players, and it also could lead to more risk among teammates.
- Stick taps to Montreal Canadiens forward Jonathan Drouin for opening up about his struggles with anxiety and insomnia, which led him to miss the 2020-21 campaign. He’ll be back on the ice for training camp on Wednesday.
- Elvis Merzlikins signed a five-year extension with Columbus on Tuesday. I truly believe he’ll be among the Vezina frontrunners this season.