It’s the start of a new week and nearly August (I personally can’t how fast the time has gone). We’re one step closer to October, but even closer to free agency, where the Washington Capitals and several teams will evaluate their options. It all kicks off this Wednesday, July 28.
Let’s take a look at the latest news and notes as we count down to NHL Free Agency:
- Heading into free agency, Washington may have to make some deals to clear space and could have work to do on the blue line. J.J. Regan takes a look at the Capitals’ options on the backend. (NBC Sports Washington)
- A life-long Capitals fan, Joaquim Lemay is ready to take the next step toward the pros with his favorite club. Here’s what he had to say about joining Washington, where he hopes to grow his game and more. (Washington Hockey Now)
- Who were the winners and losers from the 2021 NHL Draft? Adam Gretz breaks down how it all played out on Friday and Saturday, which teams won big and which teams may have faltered. (Pro Hockey Talk)
- From Jack Eichel to Taylor Hall to Ryan Suter, there’s plenty of talks, transactions and speculation brewing in Boston. Jimmy Murphy breaks down all the latest rumors surrounding the B’s and beyond. (Boston Hockey Now)
Sammi’s Top Shelf Takes
- Qualifying offers to restricted free agents are due today. The Capitals have two RFAs to address: goaltender Ilya Samsonov and defenseman Lucas Johansen. Brian MacLellan said he expects a bridge deal for Sammy, and that he has to win his starting spot. That’s the best move, IMO.
- We’re counting down to the launch of our newest sister site: Vancouver Hockey Now. Stick taps on joining the National Hockey Now family – check it out here.