Capitals Game Day
Capitals vs. Devils: Projected Lines, Key Stats, Updates & Notes
The Washington Capitals are back in action as they host the New Jersey Devils. Projected lines, players to watch, key stats and everything else to know before puck drop.
WASHINGTON — The Washington Capitals return home on Thursday for a key showdown against the New Jersey Devils as they continue their playoff push and look for their third win in four games.
It won't be an easy task, as they face the New Jersey Devils, who are safely sitting second in the Metropolitan Division and are 6-3-1 over the last 10 games. Still, it's an important game for the Capitals, who sit five points out of playoff position.
Here is everything to know before puck drop.
Washington Capitals Lines vs. New Jersey Devils
Washington is still dealing with injuries on the backend, as Martin Fehervary and Nick Jensen recover from respective lower-body and upper-body ailments. Fehervary is a "potential game-time decision," Nick Jensen remains day-to-day and won't play. However, based on the optional morning skate, it looks like both will be out.
On Wednesday, the Capitals practiced without Craig Smith as he returned to Boston to go get more of his things, as the team has mainly been on the road since his acquisition. Smith is back in town and is a go for Thursday. With Smith back, Aliaksei Protas will be the odd man out and took the scratches' skate on Wednesday, staying on longer for extra work with Fehervary, Jensen and Charlie Lindgren.
Here are what the lines may look like:
Alex Ovechkin-Evgeny Kuznetsov-Tom Wilson
Anthony Mantha-Nicklas Backstrom-T.J. Oshie
Sonny Milano-Dylan Strome-Craig Smith
Conor Sheary-Nic Dowd-Nicolas Aube-Kubel
Rasmus Sandin-Trevor van Riemsdyk
Matt Irwin-Gabriel Carlsson
Alex Alexeyev-Vincent Iorio
Darcy Kuemper, who did not take the optional morning skate, is expected to start.
Key Stats For Washington Capitals vs. New Jersey Devils
Capitals: 3.08 GF/G (19th), 2.98 GA/G (13th), 21.1 PP% (16th), 82.7 PK% (8th)
Devils: 3.57 GF/G (7th), 2.71 GA/G (7th), 21.7 PP% (14th), 81.5 PK% (10th)
Additional Ice Chips/Updates
– Vitek Vanecek will make his return to D.C. but will not start as Akira Schmid will get the nod.
– Rasmus Sandin has five points through his first two games with the Capitals, a franchise record.
– Alex Ovechkin has scored in two straight games and has four goals in his last four contests. In 70 career games against the Devils, he has 38 goals and 39 assists.
– Tom Wilson has points in three of his last five games.
– Dougie Hamilton has points in five of his last six games, while Jack Hughes and Nico Hischier have points in three of their last five.
– John Carlson continues to skate in a non-contact jersey. His return remains "off in the distance."