The Washington Capitals are still looking at a long road ahead, and one team that could be of interest to them in the offseason are the Colorado Avalanche. The Avalanche remain one win away from the Stanley Cup but will be in for a tough Game 6 after dropping Game 5 to the Tampa Bay Lightning and the chance to clinch the series at home on Friday.
Lord Stanley will be in the building again at Amalie Arena, but the Lightning are hoping to carry that momentum over into Game 6 while Colorado will look to bounce back.
Meanwhile, the coaching carousel continues across the NHL, and Barry Trotz made quite the decision on Friday.
Here are the latest news and notes from D.C. and across the league:
- The Capitals need help this offseason, and they could turn to the Avalanche for help. Here are some Colorado players Washington could pursue in NHL Free Agency. (WHN)
- Former Capitals bench boss Trotz is taking a break from coaching to focus on family and turned down the Winnipeg Jets job. (WHN)
- Alex Ovechkin is set to play in a friendly today in the Russian Premier League for FC Dynamo Moscow. (WHN)
- Here’s a look back at Trevor van Riemsdyk’s 2021-22 campaign and his strides for Washington. (Japers’ Rink)
- The Avalanche will head back to Tampa and are eager to rebound after dropping Game 5 and the chance to hoist the Cup on home ice. Can they pull it off? (CHN)
- Meanwhile, the Capitals’ rival Pittsburgh Penguins could look very different next offseason, especially with Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang’s futures up in the air. (PHN)
- Meanwhile, John Tortorella will get a lot of love with the Philadelphia Flyers. Just ask some of his former players. (PHN)
- And, as the coaching carousel continues, Paul Maurice is rediscovering his passion for hockey after joining the Florida Panthers. (FHN)
Sammi’s Top Shelf Takes
- Ondrej Palat is absolutely clutch and is legitimately the reason that the Lightning have made it this far.
- Meanwhile, when Andre Burakovsky returns, I expect him to have a strong game as Colorado looks to clinch the Cup in Florida.
- Me and FHN’s Colby Guy launched our Inside The Pressbox podcast – We share advice, our stories of getting into sports journalism and the industry and our favorite press box moments in the pilot. Check it out here.
- I’d go for Darcy Kuemper over any other goaltender on the market if I were in Brian MacLellan’s shoes.