Sammi's Daily Mix
Sammi’s Daily: Capitals Injuries, Stadium Series Jerseys, Trade Talk
The Washington Capitals are awaiting word on some injuries, the Stadium Series jerseys are out and trade talk continues to brew. We share the latest and what to know in the daily.
ARLINGTON, V.A. — The Washington Capitals will be in for one of their biggest games of the season against the Pittsburgh Penguins on what's already been a busy day in D.C.
Washington's Stadium Series jerseys dropped, and the team is also awaiting word on some of their injured players as the Capitals skate on home ice after a three-game road swing out west. In other news, trade talk and speculation continue to brew as the March 3 NHL Trade Deadline looms.
Here are the latest news and notes from D.C. and across the NHL:
– Washington's Stadium Series jerseys are here, and the Capitals sweaters will feature the "Weagle" for the first time in franchise history. (WHN)
– Nic Dowd gives another update on how his rehab is doing and his progress as he works back from a lower-body injury. (WHN)
– Tom Wilson's status is still up in the air for Washington. (WHN)
– And, in trade talk, some chatter has linked Anthony Mantha and the Capitals to the Mtontreal Canadiens. We set the record straight and share what we've heard.
– Looking at the playoff race: The Islanders' struggles continue, and while general manager Lou Lamoriello took some of the blame himself, he also put some of it on the players. New York Islanders (NYIHN)
– An update on Cole Caufield, whose shoulder surgery will keep him out for the rest of the season. Montreal Canadiens (MHN)
– The Penguins will be without Tristan Jarry as they take on Washington on Thursday. Pittsburgh Penguins (PHN)
– Ryan O'Reilly is now apparently one of the players who's a trade target. Boston Bruins (BHN)
Top Shelf Takes
– There's been mixed reviews of the Stadium Series sweaters: I actually really like them and think that it's a simple, sleek look. I think on the ice they're going to look much cleaner, especially with the names and numbers.
– There's no denying the importance of Thursday's game: it's a must-win for the Capitals. Pittsburgh leapfrogged them for the No. 1 Wild Card spot, and teams continue to push to get back in playoff position and are just a few points behind D.C. As Oshie pointed out last week, it's not a comfortable position for the team to be in.
– We'll see soon if Wilson is on the ice for the morning skate. He is day-to-day, and the injury did not look pretty. In case you missed it, here's what happened:
Here's what happened to Tom Wilson and his huge shot block on Hunt. Was caught in the right leg.
He has played seven games since returning from nearly eight months of rehab after undergoing ACL surgery on his left knee in May.
— Sammi Silber (@sammisilber) January 25, 2023
– We'll also await word on Nicklas Backstrom, who is day-to-day with a non-COVID illness.