The Washington Capitals are just days away from the start of training camp and the NHL preseason and take part in off-ice testing and physicals Wednesday. Meanwhile, the team’s prospects just finished their own rookie camp, doing what they can to impress and get on coaches’ radars.
Meanwhile across the NHL, teams continue to prepare for the start of the season. Let’s kick back, relax and check out the latest news and notes from across the NHL.
- Washington’s prospects, free agent invites and recent draft picks made the most of their opportunity at rookie camp. Here’s a full recap, including more on Connor McMichael’s chances, Hendrix Lapierre’s performance and more on names to watch going forward. (Washington Hockey Now)
- Will McMichael slot in at center or wing? What does the future hold for Lapierre and Aliaksei Protas? Tarik El-Bashir caught up with Capitals assistant GM Ross Mahoney to discuss the team’s prospects and much more. (The Athletic)
- Hershey Bears head coach Scott Allen caught up with the media at rookie camp and discussed Martin Fehervary’s NHL chances, saying it’s “up to him” whether or not he makes the team. J.J. Regan shares more on the Slovakian defenseman’s growth. (NBC Sports Washington)
- Washington released its 2021-22 promotional schedule, which features these iconic Tom Wilson bobbleheads. (WHN)
- Divisions are returning to normal, Robin Lehner is officially the No. 1 in Vegas and the Devils are looking to impress this year. Adam Gretz outlines some of the top storylines to watch this season. (Pro Hockey Talk)
- Sidney Crosby is still recovering from surgery, but the Pittsburgh Penguins still held a “captain state.” Dan Kingerski has the latest on Brian Boyle and the Pens, as well as possible moves for the team before the year starts. (Pittsburgh Hockey Now)
- Rookie camps and tournaments were full-go over the last few days. Corey Pronman takes a look at which up-and-coming prospects stood out the most. (The Athletic)
- Morgan Frost is continuing to pursue a roster spot with the Philadelphia Flyers and is hoping that third time’s the charm. Ryan Gilbert caught up with the young forward to discuss his chances and development. (Philly Hockey Now)
Sammi’s Top Shelf Takes
- The Capitals will hold off-ice testing and physicals on Wednesday. The team has media day on Thursday and then hits the ice for training camp on Friday.
- Lapierre was probably the name that stood out most to me at training camp. I stand by my belief that he will be among the biggest steals of the 2020 NHL Draft and an outstanding player at the NHL level.
- That being said, McMichael also impressed, and he is capable of playing NHL hockey this season. However, there’s a lot that goes into that move, especially with cap space limited and not a lot of vacancy available on the main roster. Time will tell what the plan is for him.
— Sammi Silber (@sammi_silber) September 20, 2021
- Stick taps to Travis Zajac on an outstanding NHL career. He chose to hang up the skates after 15 years in the NHL, spending all but 13 regular-season games with New Jersey.
Travis Zajac calls it a career.
But he’s just getting started in Jersey.
— New Jersey Devils (@NJDevils) September 20, 2021