It’s Wednesday, and we’re — almost — in the home stretch of another work week. The Washington Capitals are just about a month away from the preseason. Meanwhile, we still have summer hockey to keep an eye on, with the IIHF Women’s Worlds still going strong and men’s hockey Olympic qualifiers about to kick off.
Here’s all the latest news and notes from the NHL and beyond.
- The Capitals’ veteran core is still going strong, but can Alex Ovechkin and friends keep the momentum going? J.J. Regan and Andrew Gillis take a look. (NBC Sports Washington)
- Ilya Samsonov headed back to the Metallurg school to pass along his knowledge to young up-and-coming netminders. Jon Sorenson has more on the training session back in Russia. (NoVa Caps)
- Anthony Mantha finished last season on a strong note in a small sample size with Washington. What will the Capitals see from him in a full 82-game campaign? (Washington Hockey Now)
- The Avalanche remain the favorite in the Central Division, but the Blackhawks may have something to say about that after a busy offseason that saw Marc-Andre Fleury, Seth Jones and more join the team. James O’Brien reviews a busy offseason for the Central and which teams could make a major run. (Pro Hockey Talk)
- There are high hopes for Moritz Seider as he prepares to make the likely jump to the Red Wings. Kevin Allen ponders how he’ll stack up to the top blueliners in franchise history. (Detroit Hockey Now)
- Meanwhile at the IIHF Women’s Worlds, Hilary Knight made history as the tournament’s all-time leading goal scorer, passing Cammi Granato. Team USA is 3-0-0 and sits first in the tournament, tied with Canada. (The Athletic)
Sammi’s Top Shelf Takes
- I personally think that Chicago will be able to surpass Colorado and finish atop the Central and return to the postseason. The Blackhawks’ summer additions are solid, and if Jonathan Toews is able to return, they’ll be stacked.
- The IIHF men’s final Olympic qualification kicks off tomorrow, with Slovakia, Austria, Belarus and Poland vying for their spot. No Capitals are currently listed on the rosters.
- The Da Beauty League wraps up its season Wednesday with the John Scott Cup Championship Game between Walser and Jimmy John’s. Look out for Shane Gersich, Travis Boyd and other familiar faces on Team J.J.