To kick off this latest week, there were quite a couple of goalie extensions, including Washington Capitals’ Ilya Samsonov. Meanwhile in Minnesota, the Wild are facing uncertainty when it comes to one of their stars and NHL rookie sensations in Kirill Kaprizov.
Let’s kick back, take a look at the latest news and notes across the NHL.
- The Capitals inked Ilya Samsonov to a one-year bridge deal worth $2 million. Here’s why it’s a win for both parties. (Washington Hockey Now)
- At the same time, the pressure is also on the young Russian to prove himself as a No. 1 netminder. J.J. Regan explains the stakes for Samsonov in Washington. (NBC Sports Washington)
- In former Capitals news, Barry Trotz will be behind the bench as an assistant coach for Team Canada at the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing. Harrison Brown has more. (NoVa Caps)
- Kirill Kaprizov reportedly has a tentative agreement with CSKA Moscow for next season as he continues to negotiate a new deal with the Minnesota Wild. Michael Russo provides the latest on the situation and heightened pressure on the team. (The Athletic)
- From Tomas Tatar to Pius Suter, there’s been quite a few bargain signings so far this offseason. Adam Gretz breaks down some of the best deals so far. (Pro Hockey Talk)
- Famous Pittsburgh Penguins broadcaster Mike Lange is leaving the broadcast booth after a lengthy, legendary career with the team. Dan Kingerski shares his story and legacy. (Pittsburgh Hockey Now)
Sammi’s Top Shelf Takes
- With the Samsonov deal, Washington now has around $668,740 remaining in cap space and just 12 forwards on the roster. They may have to make some room heading into the season if they want to have some more depth on the forecheck.
- Shifting gears to the defense crops, Martin Fehervary is continuing to train hard for the upcoming season, showcasing his on-ice sessions and weightlifting on Instagram. Meanwhile, Nick Jensen is staying in shape and showing off the dangles in Da Beauty League.
Nick Jensen with the handles and Jackson Cates with the finish 🚨🚨
What a duo 🤝
— Da Beauty League (@DaBeautyLeague) August 9, 2021
- If you need a pick-me-up, Tom Wilson is rocking Crocs.